Monday, March 15, 2010

Welcome to the Parker

If you haven’t been to The Parker Hotel in Palm Springs yet you just have to go! Haven’t heard of it? Let me educate you... This cute 131room boutique hotel on 13 acres was the former Melody Ranch of singing cowboy Gene Autry. If that name doesn’t ring a bell then maybe "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" or "Frosty the Snowman" does. Yes... those are songs written by Gene Autry. He was known for much more than Christmas songs though and also was owner of the Los Angeles Angels from 1961-1997. While staying at the Parker one can rent the restored and updated actual Gene Autry Residence! The way I came to know about the hotel was from its very own TV show called "Welcome to the Parker" which aired a few years back. And guess who the Interior Designer of the Parker is? The one and only Jonathan Adler :)

Almost 3 years ago my friends and I stayed at the Parker to celebrate my 25th birthday and this last Saturday I returned for a visit and some dinner after watching some tennis at the BNP Paribas Open. Although I enjoyed everything about the Parker the first time I was there this time it was a whole different experience for me after being employed by the designer.

The Parker is unlike any other hotel with its beautifully landscaped gardens sitting almost at the base of the desert mountains where room service is brought to you by bicycle. The grounds include 4 pools, hammocks, a croquet lawn, fire pits, tennis courts, and even a lemonade stand with ping pong tables. It was so much fun for me to explain everything I knew about this place to my long time middle school friend who came with me.

What makes more sense than hanging a key on the wall where everyone get's the key to their hotel room!? This reception desk displays a ceramic frieze showing cute characters illustrating what guests can expect on their stay at the parker. Sunshine being in the center and illustrations of a couple lounging and the words "Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you shall check out"







Dinner at Mister Parker! Behind the blue velvet curtain is a groovy French restaurant where my friend and I enjoyed mustard encrusted rack of lamb, pancetta risotto, and gnocchi with roasted artichokes, olives, fennel, and tomato, parmesan while sipping on a glass of Cabernet.

The restaurant has a masculine feel from the wood paneling but the most important layer to the space is the collection of artwork on the walls which displays racy pop art.


I took so many pictures and could go on and on about this fabulous hotel. If you are intrigued I suggest you check out The Parker website and consider shelling out a little bit of cash to experience it for yourself.


Goodbye Parker Palm Springs until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Maile...We are very proud of you!

    Love you Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete